Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reunion


Tonight Beth told me that I had beautiful feet, and I remembered that this is true.    

I've been living with people who hate feet, who get nervous around them, who'd wear tube socks with their sandals if it weren't for the dirty looks, and so all this time, I've put them away.  To be considerate, I guess.  

But I love my feet!  They are really nice.  Jason Le told me so when I was in 7th grade, my mom has loved them since I was born.  I know the feel of her hands on my soles as she held them still to trim my nails.  "These are Lee feet," she'd say and pull on a toe, "Like Bac Bac's."  

It feels kind of awful to realize you've forgotten something you really like about yourself, like taking your best friend for granted.  But in a way, tonight was like a happy reunion.  I came home and took another look down there.  Yes, indeed, they are very nice feet.  Look at you!  There you are!  

1 comment:

AnnMarie said...

what a beautiful photograph.

what a beautiful sentiment. my eyes have been a point of pride for my mother since i was born. now, she is thousands of miles away and no one else feels they can so unabashedly gaze at my eyes in the way she does...